Sunday, February 04, 2007

RX Blues - I Hate My Boss


Here is an excellent release from St. Louis based RX Blues. This offering showcases the outstanding talent of this group both in their performance and songwriting. All thirteen tracks were penned by either Dr. Jose Diaz (lead/rhythm guitar) or Jeff Davis (lead/rhythm guitar). This cd was released in 2001 and recorded at Music Masters in St. Louis, Missouri. I found these original tracks to be well written and delivered. The current band lineup is:

Jose Diaz - Lead Guitar
Joe Kennedy - Bass and Vocals
Tim Compton - Saxophone, Keyboards, & Vocals

They open with I hate My Boss, a swinging shuffle that makes you start moving from the start. This is followed by Problems No More. Here again they come at you with a beat to get you moving, and the lead guitar smokes. Next is Memphis, Beale Street, The Blues And Me, here is a great swingin tune that you just can’t sit still to. They follow with a great song and one of my personal favorites from this cd titled Sad Bad Lovin’ Blues. It is a bit of a funky style tune that just stuck a chord with me. The sax on this song is really great too. Next they deliver another shuffle in the St. Louis Shuffle, a great tune with a 50’s shuffle swing sound. Eat Good Eat Bad is next, and as with the rest will keep you moving. A well written and arranged song I enjoyed very much. Neon Jungle is next and is a pretty neat set of lyrics. It seems to Describe the club scene pretty well in my opinion. Big Daddy is next and shows us a more conventional blues sound. It is written and delivered as as slow shuffle. Hit It Twice is next and continues the dance beat very well. We are treated some nice horns and a great bass to anchor the song as well as some real nice lead riffs from the guitar. I really enjoyed the way the bass and drums work with each other which will make or break a great song. Blacklisted is next and is a return to a slow shuffle in true blues form. The vocal work on this entire cd is just great as well. Next is another favorite of mine in The Wolf Is At Your Door. This is a set of lyrics that everyone can relate to. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t felt that the wolf was at the door at one point. The organ on this is outstanding also. This next song I could hear all night and is titled Middle Of The Road. It is a slow song which I think is just great. For me it is one of those songs that if heard once just stays in your head all day for some reason. They close out this offering with Empty Pockets, a really nice bit of slide guitar combined with great lyrics.

I understand after hearing this music why they have been fortunate enough to open for some top acts, including:

Long John Hunter
Little Charlie And The Nightcats
Tommy Castro
Chuck Berry
Buddy Miles (Legendary Drummer For Jimi Hendrix)

Tab Benoit

James Solberg

Visit their web site at:

http://www.rxblues.com

Try I Hate My Boss here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TBK14ADY

1 Comments:

Blogger Camarillo Brillo said...

These guys sound great dude...I added a link from my blog...
Thanks again!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home